Are you attending a lot of holiday parties this month?
Chances are, the focus of these gatherings will be on indulgent food and drinks that don’t align with your usual healthy eating habits. Expect to encounter plenty of unhealthy fats, sugar, and alcohol.
This holiday season, maintain your hard-earned gains from a year of health and fitness by practicing mindful eating with these practical tips:
- Before heading to a party, take a moment to assess your emotional state. If you tend to turn to food when feeling stressed rather than enjoying festivities, it’s important to prepare in advance. Develop a strategy to avoid falling back into the pattern of emotional eating and ensure a more enjoyable experience.
- Eat a nutritious snack before going to a party. Often, feeling satiated before going to the party will keep you from making return trips to the dessert table.
- Fill your plate with real food rather than filling it with ultra-processed food. Go for the charcuterie, cheeses, fruits, and veggies, before the chips, cookies, and cakes.
- Wait 15 minutes before going for another plate- you might realize you’re full.
- Eat nutritious food before you consume alcohol. Most of us make better food choices when not imbibing. Lastly, may you fill your holiday with joy, laughs, and love, shared with those who make your community so bright!
Happy Holidays from all of us at Merz/Embody Integrated Health, Performance and Physical Therapy!